I've been wanting to show you the restoration process of my family's Mary statue and thought today was a good as time as any. Perhaps you'll be inspired to restore one of your own garden statues. If you have any questions about the process just drop me a line. I'd love to see the before and after photos and post them on the blog for others to see.
We used sand paper on the harder to reach areas such as the face. Our intent was to get only the loose paint off - a full blown restoration would have required us to chip and pull away ALL the paint. We felt this wasn't need, especially since the original paint would act as a second barrier to the elements.
Using rubber gloves and a sponge we applied a weak bleach solution to make sure we would not paint over any fungus or living organisms that would eventually peel the paint.
We used a very slight bit of gray to give Mary's white dress a couple shadows within the creases.
For the earth and the serpent we used royal blue, green, and yellow.
For Mary's face we used olive white. Mind you we did not purchase any new paint except for the base-coat white. We wanted to make do with what we had and mix paint to get the colors we wanted. We found olive white on the basement shelf although we were planning on mixing a tiny bit of red with some white to make the skin color.
For Mary's hair we had brown enamel all ready and we used that, but we were prepared to make brown by mixing a bit of red and green together with just a touch of yellow.
We placed the statue back in the middle of our fruit orchard and said a prayer for protection and fruitful harvest.
If you like this post, feel free to link back by copying one of the codes below!URL: HTML link code: BB (forum) link code: